Getting Down to Earth with this new show



I just began watching "Down to Earth" on Netflix and was psyched about its message. The show touts the idea of doing what we can for our planet. I had thought it was going to focus more on food and sustainable ways of producing it around the globe, but it's actually more than that. 

The first episode on Iceland is an awesome jumping off point to convey the gist of this series, which is that we all need to learn about the unique ideas used around the globe for the sake of the environment and our future. It also shows off some fantastic scenery, which I'm sure I can also look forward to in following episodes.

We get to learn about some people who came up with innovative ways and have been putting them to great use, and we need to take notice when their ideas are working successfully, so we can learn from each other.

We are all in this one planet, and we need to help each other. Getting the word out and spreading the message is key, so kudos to the producers of this show for doing this work.


I was surprised to learn that Iceland used to be dependent on imported coal and oil in the 1970s yet look at where they are now. In fact, getting to 100% renewable energy took decades.  We can look at their example and know what's possible. The last words of the first episode was a great call to action: 

"Maybe it's time we all changed, just a little bit, what we can, and where we can." 

In fact, we can all participate. We can all contribute to this movement in our own simple ways--when we buy stuff, when we decide what goes in our houses, when we think about what to do on weekends or of projects around the house, when we go on vacation, when we cook and eat, when we vote. What's the little thing that you can do to make a huge difference down the road? Nothing is too little or too insignificant because every little bit helps. 

Obviously, I highly recommend this series. I expect to learn a lot and be inspired to keep living more sustainably. The show's vibe is a bit too laid back for me, but that's just me and it's just the first episode. Zac Efron, who also produces the show, and his friend Darin Olien, an author and health guru, and the crew do a great job of sharing what they find in a very easygoing and fun atmosphere, and they definitely share a lot of laughs on camera. 

I loved learning about some really smart people in Iceland, including two women who head a power plant that came up with a way to contain the byproducts of energy production and place them safely back in the earth! They also spoke to the very person who came up with the idea of what is now the world renowned Blue Lagoon! What incredible minds! What amazing people! 

The second episode will be in France, and I can't wait to see what we will learn from them there. 


Comments

Popular Posts