Christmas before Thanksgiving
| At the 82nd St. subway station at Jackson Heights, Queens. |
It's definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas in New York, and I haven't even decided what to do for Thanksgiving yet. Either I'm getting older and noticing things more or Christmas is really arriving earlier, especially this year. The huge wreath at the 82nd St. subway station in Jackson Heights, where I teach in the evenings, went up shortly after Halloween. On my way home on Friday, I walked by Macy's on Herald Square and noticed their holiday windows already up and running. ... and didn't the skating rink and holiday markets at Bryant Park not use to open until after Thanksgiving?
Don't get me wrong; I'm definitely not complaining. I love the holidays--the days off, the holiday food, the holiday music, the festive atmosphere everywhere, even the windows and the decorations. I'm just not sure if I want it to arrive too early. Christmas is supposed to be a magical period that slowly appears after we've stuffed ourselves with a nice turkey dinner and a generous helping of pecan pie and ice cream and slowly leaves as we put away our presents and decide on how to store or get rid of the tree. I don't think Christmas is supposed to hang around for long or get here before we're ready for it. Otherwise, its excitement and magic could quickly turn into bland, mundane expectation. And who wants that?
I love Christmas, and Christmas in New York is particularly special. I like the festive crescendo that begins with Halloween, gathers momentum at Thanksgiving as people get together with friends and family and reflect over food and drinks. Then, it's fun observing and be part of the holiday frenzy that follows, which is often accompanied with the pungent smell of a crackling fire as you rush about in the city and which always subsides on Christmas Eve as the streets become quiet and everyone returns home or goes somewhere to rest, happy to be away from the cold. Those among us blessed with the Christmas spirit look around and feel grateful for what we have. Then the holidays end with a huge celebration on New Year's Eve as we reflect again, this time on the passing of one year and the coming of the next as we hope and plan for a more productive one to come until the next holiday season, which hopefully won't arrive too early.
| Holiday windows |
| at Macy's. |

Comments
Post a Comment