A disappointing eclipse


On 37th St. & 7th Avenue where there was a bit of excitement around the eclipse. 

The American Solar Eclipse of 2017 was this past Monday, Aug. 21, and peaked around 2:46 p.m. in NYC. I was somewhat excited about this event--not so much to watch the moon cover up the sun, which I did get to see for a short bit when I borrowed someone's eclipse glasses at work; I was actually more psyched to witness darkness in the middle of the day at the peak of the eclipse. However, as we were only getting about 70 percent blockage in New York City, I knew it wouldn't get completely dark, but I thought we would experience twilight at least or something close to it. So it was a bit of a letdown when it didn't really get any darker at all. There was just a very slight, barely noticeable, perhaps even imagined change in the quality of the light as we got close to peak blockage, but that was it.



A bit of excitement over the eclipse was the most exciting part about the whole event. 

I would say the most exciting part of the whole phenomenon was watching everyone get excited over it. Nevertheless, I can see now how it can be addictive, and I've decided I definitely want to check out the next one in 2024. This time, if able, I'm heading somewhere on the path of totality. I'm going to make my own little box viewer contraption, and I'm going to experience the strange phenomenon of total darkness in the middle of the day and witness one of the awesome wonders of the universe. It's a great thing this wasn't a once in a lifetime event, after all. Unless of course I croak before then, which I don't intend to, but you never know. #fingerscrossed

Comments

Popular Posts