Future Subway Trains

I checked out these prototypes of future subway cars last month on display at the last stop on the 7 train in Midtown, in the west side of Manhattan. This was also my first visit to the 7 line's newest station, 34th St. Hudson Yards, which opened in September 2015. I can't believe it took me more than 2 years to head there, which had been on my list of places to see after it opened.
I was mostly looking forward to checking out what I thought would be full-length cars that would allow passengers to move from front to back without having to open doors and move from car to car. So I was a bit disappointed to see gangways with rubber accordion covers that essentially connected cars together--not exactly the smooth one-piece train I was expecting.
I asked the rep who was available for questions and she explained that trains have to make sharp turns, which necessitates the accordioned gangway, similar to the long busses. Unlike most newer systems in Europe and Asia, New York City's old system requires trains to share and switch tracks, which basically limits how sleek our trains can be. :-( Oh well, sleekness shouldn't be our top priority anyway and should come after cleanliness and being technologically cutting edge.
Nevertheless, getting new train cars is exciting, and I can't wait. I also can't wait for when we can start going through the turnstiles using an app on our phones. In addition to the open gangways, the new cars are set to have wider doors, interactive touch screen displays, and better lighting, among other upgrades. The rep said the MTA will take bids and decide which train manufacturer will get the contract to build the trains for the city.







Comments
Post a Comment