Practical industrial artwork
I'm always impressed with what I see when I walk up to the top level of the 9th St. subway station in Brooklyn where the F & G trains stop and see this lattice of metal beams. I doubt art was in the minds of the builders when they planned this network of steel. Structural and physical forces were probably foremost in their decisions. It feels like an overabundance of safety and stability, which is reassuring considering the amount of weight it has to support day in and day out. What's really cool though is that it doubles as a work of art that is nice to look at from different angles. Even cooler is how the rays of the early morning and late afternoon sun hit the straight lines and angles of the steel and create some drama of light and shadows.



Comments
Post a Comment