Listening to music to keep us in sync with ourselves
![]() |
| On my way to Maryland |
I like music and definitely love to sing, but I don't listen to it much. I don't really know why other than when there's a lot to do and I need to concentrate, I need silence. I'm not one of those who can have music or the tv in the background and still focus on what I'm doing. Also, when I have an hour or so to spare and it's between music or a movie, why would I choose something I'm already familiar with when I could watch something from my list that I haven't seen before?
So that's essentially my relationship with music--very limited considering that I do enjoy it and as I realized in a small light-bulb moment during a recent bus ride from New York City to Bethesda, it feels good. It massages your soul. It grounds you to who you are because you're listening to something that you chose to listen to, which essentially defines the kinds of rhythms, melodies, and lyrics that you connect with on a visceral level; otherwise, why would you choose to listen to it.
Listening to music keeps us in touch and in sync with our true nature, which on days and weeks when we're swamped with a long list of things to do and are struggling with keeping up with all our responsibilities can be a subtle yet firm reminder that this is who we are and whatever happens we know what makes us us. It connects us to our core, anchors us, and provides the fuel to strengthen and inspire whatever we are setting out to do. However heavy and intense the stress, therefore, the music that we listen to reminds us that when the hectic situation is over, we will continue to be here and there will always be things in the world that will make us feel alive.
Takeaway: I should definitely listen to music more and look for opportunities to do so. I can't have it playing in the background when I'm doing tasks that need focus; however, I can have it on when I don't have to concentrate too much, such as when doing chores.


Comments
Post a Comment