Back to 10 - 2

Whew! The past two weeks have been tough. My new and improved schedule lasted only one day--so much for my extra hour of sleep! There were no students in the afternoon, so I'm back to my old 10 - 2 schedule. I'm teaching a class with an academic focus with articles and videos of university lectures. The good news: I actually like the book. The topics are interesting and the articles perfect for advanced students who want to take their English to the next level. The bad news: Not all students who think they want to take their English to the next level are actually ready for it or are willing to do the work. I had to lecture them yesterday on the importance of participating in the classroom. I may have to do this now and then to keep them motivated, in addition to reminding them not to check email or text in class. I'm not teaching high schoolers, but it seems like it sometimes.

With this schedule, getting 7 hours a night is next to impossible, and even 6 hours is tough, but I can always look forward to the weekend where I can play catch up on my sleep, as well as rest without thinking about lessons for the next day, and relax even as I prepare for the week.

For food, I've been hitting McDonald's and Burger King sometimes for breakfast or a quick evening meal. For snacks, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, as well as bananas. I'm taking a break from the samosas and cashew and pistachio burfi on 74th St. In Jackson Heights. Instead, I go straight to 82nd St. to be closer to work and get more library time and catch up on some work. In the past couple of weeks, however, I was only able to open my netbook once or twice. I hope my prep work for next week will be thorough enough as to allow me more time to do extra stuff in the middle of my day. We'll see!

Comments

Popular Posts