The practical side of knowing yourself
Knowing yourself and being self aware at each moment of your life is not easy. It takes practice to make it natural and to keep yourself in the zone, which is really the only way to do it. Otherwise, you forget, you're mind wonders, and the next thing you know, you're focusing on things that are not really worth thinking or worrying about.
Knowing who you are and practicing self-awareness are not new concepts for me; I'm well aware of their importance when it comes to staying grounded and accomplishing goals. I know they help you focus and that they shine a brighter light on your path. Nevertheless, it's tough. I haven't figured out a way to stay in zen mode perpetually yet or at least for longer periods of time--when I do, that'll be another post. I have, however, thought of another aspect of staying in the zone.
As it turns out, its usefulness actually goes beyond the psychological and into the practical. I've found that remembering who you are even in short intervals actually helps you get things done. It's a great motivator when it comes to checking things off your to-do list. It's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. Lately, I use it with mundane things like simply getting up and out of bed in the morning. I focus and think of what I need to do and why they need to be done. I link it with the larger scheme of things and what I want to accomplish this period in my life, and I do it. Guess what? It works! Mind you, it's not a small feat for someone who loves to sleep and is already sleep-deprived as it is.
I also use it to get a workout routine going in the morning and a little bit at night. This is big. Perhaps the practical side is a bridge to the psychological. Perhaps simply waking up and working out as planned using this technique, which will put me in the zone at least a couple of times a day, will get my psyche to get used to the zen mode, which may then lead to longer periods of focus in self awareness. That would be awesome. I guess only time will tell. For now, I'm glad I've at least found a way to minimize hitting the snooze button when the alarm goes off in the morning.
As it turns out, its usefulness actually goes beyond the psychological and into the practical. I've found that remembering who you are even in short intervals actually helps you get things done. It's a great motivator when it comes to checking things off your to-do list. It's where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. Lately, I use it with mundane things like simply getting up and out of bed in the morning. I focus and think of what I need to do and why they need to be done. I link it with the larger scheme of things and what I want to accomplish this period in my life, and I do it. Guess what? It works! Mind you, it's not a small feat for someone who loves to sleep and is already sleep-deprived as it is.
I also use it to get a workout routine going in the morning and a little bit at night. This is big. Perhaps the practical side is a bridge to the psychological. Perhaps simply waking up and working out as planned using this technique, which will put me in the zone at least a couple of times a day, will get my psyche to get used to the zen mode, which may then lead to longer periods of focus in self awareness. That would be awesome. I guess only time will tell. For now, I'm glad I've at least found a way to minimize hitting the snooze button when the alarm goes off in the morning.

Comments
Post a Comment