Joys & lessons learned on vacation

I came back to work on Monday after a 2-week vacation that was so relaxing, enjoyable, productive, and what can I say, OH, SO SWEET. There was a bit of travel that included a road trip, a train ride, a walk on the beach. There was some tv watching--something I don't get to do at all when I'm working. There was a lot of work done and major projects accomplished. There were slow rainy days and bright sunny afternoons; there was good food and late night snacks and enough sleep, which was actually one of my top priorities. It was my first break in almost 2 years, and I was determined to make it a good one at my current budget, and I DID!

It was a staycation for the most part as I got some projects done at home and some errands run around town, the whole time cherishing the absence of a schedule or homework and the ability to put off something just because I didn't feel like it.



MTA Long Island Railroad train station
Two of the highlights were a 6-hour drive to Mystic, Connecticut, and back, as well as the 6 hours round trip on the Long Island Railroad to Montauk. I've always believed that travel is more than just the destination; in this case, both journeys gave us a nice preview of the peace and calm awaiting us. The forests of Connecticut along the highway and the ocean not too far from the railroad tracks were nice reminders that our getaways have begun.


We had brunch at Kitchen Little in Mystic, CT, 
before heading back to NYC.
I also learned a couple of things during this vacation, which started right after Thanksgiving when I was still focused on being grateful, and I realized that being thankful was like a high. I experience this every year, actually, but it usually wanes and fizzles shortly after the holidays. So, I thought, why not make a conscious effort to be in a grateful state of mind. Oprah be proud. I can even keep a gratitude journal for extra points. Seriously, it's not a bad idea.


The gf enjoying the view on a small lookout
overlooking the ocean. It was cold! 
Another thing I realized is that I really, really need to work out. The light bulb for this one went off when I suddenly felt a rush of energy as I moved stuff from one storage room to another--one huge goal accomplished during this two-week vacation. It was cold; I was tired; I thought I might even get sick after the move, but no! I got some exercise, and it was good! I've thought about adding exercise to my daily routine somehow for awhile now, but exhaustion at the end of the day, which at my current schedule is at 11 p.m., is usually overwhelming, and I'd usually rather head straight to bed as soon as possible. I've been playing around with trading 15 minutes of sleep for 15 minutes of exercise in the morning, which means a mere 3 hours 45 minutes some nights. It'll be tough, but definitely worth a try.

I'm actually ecstatic that I have these two--being grateful & exercise--to take with me into 2013. I'm excited to see if I can pull off sustaining both throughout the year and psyched to find out what the results will be come December 2013 if I succeed.


Steps down to the water. If the temperature hadn't 
been so low, I would've run down and jumped in!
Lobster salad roll (with huge pieces of lobster meat!) 
at Duryea's Lobster Deck, not too far from the train 
station in Montauk. 

Lounging by one of the fireplaces in the lobby
at Montauk Manor.


Our view as we had lunch at Duryea's Lobster Deck.

An organic brunch: quesodillas with rice & beans
at Naturally Good Food & Cafe in Montauk.
A quick, cold and windy walk on the beach. 
It was nice, nonetheless.


Comments

Popular Posts