We got on a
zipcar this morning and drove to Mystic, Connecticut, for a quick getaway. It was dreary and overcast all day. Still, it was a pleasant 3-hour drive. I can't remember the last time I got out of the city, so for me, the drive up I-678 and the Hutchinson River Parkway and I-95, et al, as we cut through the forests of New England, was relaxing and calming in itself. The trees were bare now in early December, it was noticeably colder as I got out to pump gas, and it seemed a world away from the hectic rhythm of NYC. It's amazing how the mind immediately responds to the calm that the eyes see. You're not as overly stimulated by your environment as you usually are, so you're suddenly at rest even as you take in your new surroundings.
The gf and I went straight to work once we got in our room. As always, I have my projects and this time, I have my fingers crossed she'll finish all 3 of her writing assignments in time for her class on Monday. For dinner, we stepped out and headed to
S&P Oyster Company, which was by the water. We could tell the view must have been spectacular in the daylight with the quaint little shops and the small drawbridge in this tiny New England town near Fishers Island Sound, which is not too far from Block Island Sound (from Billy Joel's The Downeaster Alexa). I hope to drive through there and check out the town a little more tomorrow before we have to head back to Brooklyn.
We enjoyed the clam chowder and the clams that we shared for appetizers. The clams were a medley of flavors and melted in cheese on the shell. I liked it more than the gf did. Then we both ordered seafood dishes that included shrimp & scallops; hers included cod and crab, as well, and was served casserole-style with stuffing and some green beans, red peppers and mashed potatoes on the side. Mine was served with pasta and also had squid and mussels in a nice white wine and garlic sauce. I liked it; I just wish I hadn't stuffed myself too much that the discomfort of being too full became my focus instead of the nice meal I just had. Anyway, perhaps this is a topic for another blog, and perhaps next time I won't load up so much on the bread dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar before my meal. If only they hadn't been so good. Alas, they were.
 |
| A sign right inside the entry way of S&P Oyster Company in Mystic, CT |
 |
I decided to try this non-alcoholic signature fruit drink with mango. Not bad, in my opinion. Too sweet for the gf. I think it's one of the reasons I became too full at the end of the meal. Worth trying though, I think. |
 |
| Five clams with melted cheese and more. I liked it. |
Comments
Post a Comment