Cooking up a storm!
On Monday, Hurricane Sandy came up the East Coast and collided with two other weather systems from the north and from the west and became a massive storm that then pounded several states in the Northeast as it moved slowly through the area before finally heading up north on Tuesday.
Because meteorologists had been tracking the storm, everything that happened was pretty much expected. The city was prepared. Nevertheless, the devastation and heartbreak it left many families in its wake is now as enormous as the size of the storm, itself, if not larger. The images on TV are hard to watch. Sad.
For most New Yorkers, storm watch began on Sunday. The sky was noticeably ominous as I traveled home from class. The subway was set to shut down at 7 p.m., the buses at 9. School had been canceled for Monday, and I got home feeling half nervous & half excited. I got the windup flashlight & radio ready, put together a go-bag for the gf & I with extra socks, shirts, umbrella, ... and stored some potable water.
The storm made landfall near Atlantic City--about 3 hours away from us--around 6 p.m. on Monday and the wind outside started to pick up. It howled at times, and our lights flickered. Our Internet connection got cut and didn't return until late Tuesday, but in the end, we were fortunate indeed. In the storm's aftermath, many are now dealing with devastating loss & damage to property; some have even lost loved ones.
Cooped up in our tiny (cozy) place, we cooked up a storm! Well, not a whole feast, but more than usual since we're usually out all day on a regular week. I fried some fish on Monday; the gf whipped up some fried chicken marinated in wine, mustard, & soy sauce on Tuesday. Today, I thought of making my beef stew with carrots, parsnips and beer, but I called off my trip to the grocery store when I saw the packed buses on 5th Avenue. I thought I could make the trip early tomorrow, but as it turns out, classes are back on, and I have to go to work. I guess we'll have to wait for the stew some other time.
As I think of everyone hit hard by the storm & say a prayer for them, I'm thankful for my tiny, humble place in this unassuming neighborhood, for the warmth & comfort it's given me all these years and for the good, albeit simple food that I manage to whip up especially in times like this.
Because meteorologists had been tracking the storm, everything that happened was pretty much expected. The city was prepared. Nevertheless, the devastation and heartbreak it left many families in its wake is now as enormous as the size of the storm, itself, if not larger. The images on TV are hard to watch. Sad.
For most New Yorkers, storm watch began on Sunday. The sky was noticeably ominous as I traveled home from class. The subway was set to shut down at 7 p.m., the buses at 9. School had been canceled for Monday, and I got home feeling half nervous & half excited. I got the windup flashlight & radio ready, put together a go-bag for the gf & I with extra socks, shirts, umbrella, ... and stored some potable water.
The storm made landfall near Atlantic City--about 3 hours away from us--around 6 p.m. on Monday and the wind outside started to pick up. It howled at times, and our lights flickered. Our Internet connection got cut and didn't return until late Tuesday, but in the end, we were fortunate indeed. In the storm's aftermath, many are now dealing with devastating loss & damage to property; some have even lost loved ones.
| Dover sole dipped in egg batter & fried in olive oil. |
| Karaage-like chicken marinated in red wine, mustard, & soy sauce. Fried in olive oil. |

Comments
Post a Comment