A night owl has to eat.

I'm halfway into a 2-week break from the classroom--my first one in almost 2 years. This time, I definitely felt it. I needed some time off BAD. So here I am; enjoying my vacation. Well, a staycation, technically, since I'm in town for most of the 2 weeks, except for this weekend and hopefully the next, as well, when the gf and I are heading out on a short getaway.

I've been getting things done, staying up late and sleeping in. The best part is not having to get up at the sound of the alarm; in fact, there's nothing like getting up and going right back to sleep if I felt like it WHATEVER time it is. It's even better than exercising my natural tendency to be the night owl that I am, which I love to do whenever I can.

Speaking of which, a night owl needs to eat, and the third best thing about getting some time off work is having a nice snack way past midnight, and by a nice snack I mean a nice meal that's enough to fill you up. It's no fun being a hungry owl, and if you're going to eat, you might as well feed yourself well, right?



So that's what I did the other night--I fed myself well by whipping up something quick. We had some leftover chicken meat from a chicken soup I made a couple nights before. So what did I come up with? Fried rice! with browned chicken pieces, an egg, and some frozen green peas. Quick, easy, simple, no-fuss dish that's perfect at about 1:30 in the a.m.

chicken pieces being browned
Leftover chicken pieces from a soup a couple of days back browned
 nicely in olive oil once the liquid from the soup evaporated.
adding green peas and a beaten egg to fried rice
Once the rice is mixed well with the browned chicken, pour in a beaten egg
and some frozen green peas. Can you see the ice on the peas? These are
from an old package. Time to get more on the next trip to the grocery store.
adding salt and pepper to fried rice
Salt and pepper to taste. Mix well, and voila! A quick dish fit for a night owl.


Comments

Popular Posts