SHARED PROSPERITY over trickle down!

I woke up politically during the 1992 Presidential race between Bill Clinton and H.W. Bush. I remember watching the Democratic convention that year, listening to Bill Clinton and Al Gore give their speeches, and getting fired up and inspired as they conveyed their vision for the country. Back then, I was completely ignorant about the differences between the two major parties. I had no idea about the concept of big government, who supported capital punishment, or where either party stood on gun control. Back then, all I cared about was the environment, as I always had and do to this day. I've never really been cynical about politics or politicians; nevertheless, on those couple of nights, Bill Clinton and Al Gore simply stood out as two citizens who defined for me what a President and Vice President should be as they shared their passions and articulated them clearly on stage. I knew that if I wanted a country that is mindful of the environment and that respects our earth, they would be the ones to lead it.

Needless to say, I have great respect for President Clinton and Vice President Gore, and I'm grateful for what they have done and for the work that they continue to do for humanity and for the environment. I love this video not simply for the explanation about why Romney's tax plan didn't add up (arithmetic!)--Yes, I know the election is over--but also because of how President Clinton articulates the tenets of the Democratic party. "I plead with you; go out there and talk to people: for SHARED PROSPERITY over trickle down, for WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER over you're on your own, for COOPERATION over conflict, and for arithmetic over illusion." Love it. Yes, the last one is specific to Romney's tax plan, but the first two especially are well-put phrases that define what for me now is the essence of the Democratic party.




Comments

Popular Posts